Surprise your partner this Valentine’s Day with a rustic cherry apple pie that will have her rushing through dinner to get to dessert.
Old-fashioned Cherry Apple Pie
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter very cold
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp ice water
- 1 apple peeled, cored and cut into 8 slices, then each slice cut into 3-4 chunks
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup cherry pie filling
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purposed flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut the butter into 1/2 inch slices and put them back into the fridge
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt for the dough in a food processor
- Add the butter pieces in the food processor and mix until the dough is the size of large peas
- Mix in the ice water until the dough begins to form a ball
- Form the dough into a flat, thick disk
- Wrap dough in wax paper or plastic and put into fridge for 1 hour
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, kosher salt, flour and butter into the food processor and pulse a few times
- Flour a clean, flat counter space
- Roll ball of dough from the center with even pressure until the pastry is in a 12 inch flat circle. Flour and turn gentle to make sure it doesn't stick or tear.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment
- Toss apple chunks with orange zest and pour the mix into the center of the dough circle. Leave about 2 inches from the edge
- Combine the strudel ingredients into the processor and pulse until it is crumbly. Sprinkle the strudel on top of the apple chunks.
- Pour the cherry pie filling on top of the apple chunks
- Fold sides of the dough 1/3 of the way toward to center all the way around. Leave around 2/3 of the fruit exposed.
- Press down on the outside edge of the pastry circle to seal
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned
- Let cool and serve with vanilla ice cream
Recipe from Chukar.com.