Mardi Gras is the perfect time to try your hand at Cajun cooking. Made specially with alligator sausage, this recipe packs a flavorful punch that will truly hit the spot during post-parade activities.
Mardi Gras: Alligator Jambalaya With Shrimp and Chicken
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings 8 people
- One 3 1/2 lbs chicken (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1 lbs smoked pork & alligator sausage (sliced)
- 1 lbs large raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 jalepeno pepper (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- 3 cups long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- One (28 oz) canned diced tomatoes (drained)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 bunch flat Italian parsley (chopped)
- 1 bunch scallions (sliced crosswire)
- Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise. In a very large dutch oven over medium heat, fry chicken in vegetable oil in batches, turning often, until golden brown on all sides. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- In the same pan with the oil and chicken fat, add onions, celery, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, garlic, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring often, until onions begin to soften and turn translucent.
- Add paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and thyme. Stir to combine and cook until spices become fragrant and onions begin to brown.
- Add the sliced alligator sausage, and cook until it just begins to brown.
- Add uncooked rice and stir, cooking a few minutes more until rice begins to toast.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and shrimp. Stir well to combine, then add reserved chicken pieces, and stir well again.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce heat, and cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in chopped parsley. Serve topped with sliced scallions.
Recipe provided courtesy of FromAway.com. Check it out for more unique recipes.