When I was in college, each spring I ran into the problem of having a fridge full of fish but no deep fryer to complete my favorite fried fish recipes. Let’s be honest, we all know the traditional baked lemon pepper fish recipes are a little overdone. So, I decided to create my own recipe.
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Breaded Crappie
- 12 thawed crappie fillets
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Rinse crappie and pat excess water with paper towel.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saute or frying pan over medium heat.
- Combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, beat the eggs and add milk. Set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
- One at a time, coat the fillets in the flour mix (first bowl), dip in the egg/milk mix (second bowl), and then the bread crumb mix (third bowl). Pat to ensure the bread crumbs stick.
- Reduce the heat to low and lay the breaded fillets in the oil. Cover.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes and then flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Set the golden brown fillets on a plate covered with a paper towel to soak up the excess grease.
- Serve with ketchup or tartar sauce.
- Reheating: Cook any leftovers on a cookie sheet in the oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping midway through.