Like spiky little hedgehogs curled up into balls, these chocolate peanut butter hedgehog truffles are absolutely adorable. A crushed cocoa covering mimics the spiny brown quills and deliver a delicate, crunchy coating of delicious bittersweet chocolate. Beneath the quills is a mouth-watering peanut-butter truffle.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Hedgehog Truffles
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs
- Place sugar in a large bowl; set aside. Combine butter, cream, peanut butter, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until butter and peanut butter are just melted. Pour over sugar in bowl and whisk until smooth. Transfer to an 8-inch-square baking dish and smooth surface. Place parchment or plastic wrap directly on surface of mixture and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Roll heaping teaspoonfuls of peanut-butter mixture into 1-inch balls. Melt chocolate, stirring until smooth, in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water; remove from heat. Working with 1 ball at a time, dip into chocolate and remove with a fork, letting excess chocolate drip off; transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets and immediately sprinkle top and sides with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cocoa nibs. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Truffles can be made 1 week ahead and stored in a single layer, covered, in refrigerator.